Followers

Friday, November 15, 2013

Formal Paper #2 Rough Draft

Douglas High School and Carson Valley Middle School, are both located in the small town of Minden Nevada. Minden is nestled in the sagebrush laden valley below the snowcapped Sierra Mountains and is only 20 minutes by car from one of the world’s most beautiful lakes, Lake Tahoe. CVMS is the remnants of the old High School that had been replaced years earlier by DHS. The school grounds of DHS have an uninterrupted view of the Sierra’s and, in the winter as it begins to get dark, you can see lights from the snow groomers as they prepare the runs at Heavenly Ski Resort for the next morning rush of powder hounds. It was at these two schools that two of my favorite teachers in my life taught. Ms. Hamer and Mr. Collier were both teachers who motivated and inspired me in my quest for knowledge. Although both Ms. Hamer and Mr. Collier were great teachers and had the ability to garner my attention and focus to the subject matter they taught, they did so in different ways. 
My first year of public school was the 7th grade as I had been homeschooled by my mom and grandma from kindergarten through 6th grade. Although I had many teachers that year, the one who made the transition from homeschool to public school a lot less stressful was Ms. Hamer. She was known to take her students outside to energize their bodies and minds by having the kids play sports that were modified to include English lessons. The ambiance for her classroom was very inviting but for a 12 year old kid, being outside was what we drooled over like hungry dogs when they hear the dog food bag shake.  “Tag you’re in!” a student would exclaim, which usually meant it was your turn to give an answer to a question followed by the absolute fulfillment of kicking a soccer ball as hard as you could toward a large weathered net.  I don’t quite know how it worked, but my brain was able to suck in information like a sponge whether I was kicking soccer balls or defending the flag of my team in an unrelated but equally entertaining Mr. Hamer sponsored activity. Ms. Hamer was very soft spoken although her ability to motivate had her students hanging on every word that she so calmly voiced. She was a relatively small person physically; maybe 5 ft even and weighed enough that a 12 year old could hoist her above their shoulders. Her size was misleading however as the content of her message and her ability to relate gained the respect of even the most dispassionate and cold-blooded mischief makers.  Both in and out of class, we learned about Ms. Hamer’s personal life as she learned and participated in ours. Her husband was a Sherriff for the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, and she a part-time Juvenile Probation Officer after her long day of teaching. I can still remember those little details about her life and I would be hard-pressed to remember things like that with any other teacher, especially in the amount of years that have passed. With that personal relationship in place, I felt the ability to confide in her my private issues as well as academic issues I had in her class as well as the other classes I was taking that year. She would stay after class sometimes and help me with my homework for all my other classes. Her ability to relate to me on that level got me through that year and left me looking forward to the next. 
It was my second year at Douglas High School, although I was a junior. My freshman year was spent at Carson Valley Middle School due to overcrowding from Southern Californians sneaking over the Nevada border and building houses to hide out in….permanently. During the summer between my sophomore and junior year, I signed up for Astronomy since it sounded like it would be an easy class to take to knock out my science elective without a lot of work. My first day in class, I noticed a tall lanky white man with serial killer glasses so thick he could probably see the ice caps on Mars without a telescope, writing “Mr. Collier” on the chalk board. He had an “I live in my mom’s basement” type of tone in his voice and I was looking forward to walking all over this guy throughout the year. His nerdy stature and 5lb bifocals were a clever disguise over what was a brilliant and dedicated teacher. Over the next few months, Mr. Collier had converted himself in my eyes from someone I wouldn’t get into a van with, to someone I would stay after class alone with just to listen to him speak. There hasn’t been a class since then that I’ve taken where the teacher truly loved his chosen subject to teach as much as Mr. Collier loved Astronomy. Extra Solar planets had just started being discovered at the time and he spent a lot of the semester speaking about the possibilities of these new found discoveries instead of teaching from the assigned book. His enthusiasm when he spoke about Astronomy was infectious. I found myself obsessed with the universe and even went on mini-field trips almost every Friday night to the new Jack C. Davis observatory that was located on top of a hill overlooking Western Nevada College in Carson City Nevada. It was under his suggestion that I became involved in these weekend trips and it also resulted in more extra credit than any one person would need. During the year, the planet Mars was at its perihelion which is the closest distance a planet gets to the Sun. With parental permission, Mr. Collier took us to the observatory at midnight on a Friday to observe Mars through a 16” lens telescope. As we lined up to see the what was probably the most amazing sight I had ever seen, he played the theme song to “2001: A Space Odyssey” and told us Mars facts as we took turns examining the planet through the looking glass of the telescope. What really took my breath away, was seeing the polar ice caps on Mars and being able to see astonishing detail in real time. It had a much more profound effect than watching a documentary on Mars or reading about a new discovery online. Mr. Collier engaged his students with practical application as well as showing us his love for the science with every word he spoke. I relished going to class and if I wanted to ditch school on any given day, I had to make sure it wasn’t on an A day since that was Astronomy day. 
My years in middle school and high school were much more valuable and palatable with teachers like Ms. Hamer and Mr. Collier. They both inspired me to pursue my education and they both gave me a feeling of fulfillment with learning their respective subject matters.  Ms. Hamer seemed to be interested in teaching her students the importance of an overall education and outside the box thinking when learning throughout life. She was very interested with our personal lives and strived to relate with us personally. Mr. Collier was just as great of a teacher, but he earned his place in my great list because his love for a single subject. He loved his subject so much that he passed that love to his students. I don’t ever remember talking to him about anything outside of Astronomy, but every one of those conversations were very meaningful to me and put me on a path for a life time love of the subject. I feel Ms. Hamer was a great teacher because of her love of people whereas I see that Mr. Collier was a great teacher because his passion for the specific subject he taught.


No comments:

Post a Comment