Followers

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My View of High School

High School is essential although I find myself in many ways agreeing with Gatto’s point of view on the education system as a whole. High school introduces teens to social life and in most cases, helps them mature as productive members of society. It teaches fundamentals that will be needed throughout life in today’s society. Some of the core subjects like English and Math are essential tools for everyone. However, I do find many issues with High School and the education system as whole. I believe there is a fine line between structure and imprisoning people. The fact that a student who ditches class to much can be sent to juvenile hall or that their parents can be sent to jail, to me, is out of control. I think the school system has a responsibility to encourage and inspire students to want to go to school. I believe parents should have more of a role with their children’s education and that High School needs to be changed to better fit the student’s academic needs as well as their personal circumstances. Some students may be able to excel off campus and show up once a week to turn in their school work. Others may need more help and can get more personal attention by showing up to class while others are at home who don’t need it.  I believe education plans should be tailored to individuals and not to masses. I think “no child left behind” and “common core education” initiatives turn our youth into a country full of underachievers who never rise to their full potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment