Followers

Monday, November 18, 2013

My High School Experience as it Relates to Gatto's Claims.

I really enjoyed reading Gatto’s article and I agreed on his position about the way our school system works in the U.S. My high school experience was very much like Gatto’s view of the education system. Most of my teachers throughout the 4 years I was attending high school seemed to work on a conveyor belt type system where their teaching entailed a specific program that never changed and was generalized to treat every student the same as opposed to educating on an individual basis. There was a specific order, mandatory deadline, and mass produced type system that was strictly adhered to by most teachers at my high school. This was not true for all my teachers. I had many teachers throughout the years who deviated from the standardized system and took an interest in individualized teaching. The majority, however, seemed intent on a certain structure they had been using for probably the entirety of their careers. I remember the hardest thing for me to get used to in middle school and high school was the fact I had to be up at 5:30 am every day to make it to class by 7:05 am or I would have truant officers showing up to harass my mom. I was home-schooled till 7th grade and my brain didn't function very well at that early hour like it did around 10 am when I was home schooled. I never fully got used to the early mornings and later when I had homework I was usually pretty fatigued while doing my work. I can definitely relate to Gatto’s view in his writings and my high school experience included many of the gripes he had as a teacher and, from his teacher’s perspective, as a student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment