Followers

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Ed Narrative I Like Most Is “How I Learned to Live Google Free”. (10/8)

        Of the education narrative texts we read in Unit 1, I most liked “How I Learned to Live Google Free” by Joshua J. Romero. Even though I more directly related to “How I Learned to Program Computers” since I am currently finishing up my degree in IT at Olympic College, I just think about how hard it would be to live without Google. I have an Android phone, I use Gmail for my email accounts, I use Google Maps for directions almost every day and for recommendations on almost every place I go, I am obsessed with using the plethora of Apps that you can use with Chrome, I am currently looking into getting Chromecast, for school I am using Blogger which is owned by Google, and I use many other Google services as well. In Romero’s article, he was comparing the features of Gmail with other email providers and most of the ones he found were pay services. He didn’t want to pay for email with the same features he could get from Gmail and I can relate to that! He also talks about the integration of Google services with each other and the ability to have one account that does so many things. I would find it annoying to have to switch back and forth between so many different apps and services that I had to login and out of. It would be a pain and add extra time to daily activities I had become accustomed to just moving between different Google products with no need to re-login. Mostly, I like his article because I would like to attempt the challenge one day. I say “one day” because I rely way too much on Google now to be able to attempt it at this point. Even when I do it will be for a week tops. I love Google products although the company scares me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment