Followers

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lorde's Essay (10/17)

Audre Lorde’s early education sounded horrible. A bad school for the visually challenged followed by what sounded like a very strict Catholic School. Lorde wrote about an experience in catholic school where after telling the truth about a project she had done on her own, said that her teacher did not believe her after questioning her and said “"Our guardian angels weep when we don't tell the truth, Audre. I want a note from your mother tomorrow telling me that you are sorry for lying to the baby Jesus." Her teachers at the catholic school were instructed to spank Audre if she misbehaved and they seemed more than happy to abide by her parents’ wishes. Lorde said “A week after I started school she sent a note home to my mother asking her not to dress me in so many layers of clothing because then I couldn't feel the strap on my behind when I was punished.

   Another example of a bad teacher experience she wrote about was her teacher in the school for the visually impaired. She wrote the teacher said to her, after not understanding the assignment she was trying to do, "Imagine that, a big girl like you. Such a shame, I'll have to tell your mother that you won't even try. And such a big girl like you!” The teacher basically calls her stupid and fat in front of the whole class and belittles her accusing her of not trying to do the exercise. Lorde gives the impression that the teachers she encountered at a young age were impeding her ability to learn and punishing her for no reason except their inability to teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment