Followers

Monday, December 9, 2013

Was Mr. Escalante a Good Teacher? (10/22)

Mr. Escalante was a good teacher in certain areas and others not so much. I think he probably was the right choice for the circumstances at James A. Garfield High School where he was teaching but that wouldn’t be the case in most situations in my opinion. I guess he probably would have tailored his personality based on the environment he was teaching at but I think the term “right guy for the job” definitely applies to this situation. When he went to one of his students place of work and talked to her father about the importance of her staying in school and the value of understanding basic mathematics, I thought that was an excellent showing of a great teacher. He most likely left a lasting impression on is student to continue pushing forward with her education and she will most likely never forget that part. I know it seems to work in the movie, but the way he talked to some of his students seemed inappropriate to me. Since this is a true story, I can imagine that some of the things that happened in the film got “hollywooded” quite a bit so the real circumstance could have been much different. That being said, I would say that being the right man for the job doesn’t mean you’re the best teacher, but it can mean you’re the best teacher for the given situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment